Tuesday 23 February 2016

JOB HUNTING FOR FRESH GRADS



When I was still in college and experiencing some difficulties in my studies, I keep on telling myself to just go on and graduate eventually. And then I took and passed the board exam. So what happens next? I keep on asking myself that question. The answer was obvious though. It is to FIND A JOB. My usual path for the last 16 years of my life was to STUDY, then suddenly I had to change paths. No one gives you a tour to the new path. It is up to you to explore it.

So come Monday after New Year 2016, I started passing my resumes to different companies. To be honest, I didn't expect that that is how it would go. That I would just get in and either the receptionist or the security guard will get my resume and they'd tell me that I would just wait for the HR's call. Bummer right? I was thinking that they'd at least entertain me. HAHA! It was a HI-HELLO-GOODBYE situation. Having graduted and passed the board, I of course think highly of myself. :)) Haha! Passing the board was not a smooth sail! So I thought, they'd come calling me soon enough. But weeks passed and I did not get a single phone call or an email or text. I was losing hope to be honest. Crying on the inside..



GRADUATION WAS THE EASY PART. GETTING A JOB IS HARDER! :))
I once heard someone saying "marami namang trabaho eh. tao lang talaga ang maarte". Which is true. Lol! Not that I immediately wanted a high paying job but at least give me a little credit for my degree and license. Right? Haha! But NO! I am a graduate and a board passer without experience so that makes me as good as everybody else.

So after weeks of waiting, job offers started coming in. Day after day. I gladly attended every interview. I even got sick of answering those written exams. And so I already chose one company. They handed me a piece of paper with details about my job, the salary and the benefits. I was actually hesitant to sign it at first. It would be my first legal responsibility since I'd put my signature on it. But reality kicks in and I have to move on and earn my own money.



Tips? 
-be patient. They will eventually call you.
-do not expect a high salary right away. even if you graduated from prestigious college or university, a cum laude or a board passer or top notcher. Being your first job, you are as good as everybody else.
-do not be choosy as it is your first job. consider it as a stepping stone into advancing in your future career. 
-do not stress yourself too much! I'm probably sure that your parents are more than proud of you for getting a degree. It would not be a big of a deal if you become a "pabigat" while finding a job. 
HAHAHAHA!

As for choosing a company to work in, I suggest that you do a research about them. Read reviews. Weigh your options. Do not say YES immediately once one company offered a job. Check the other offers as well. Compare the benefits. LOCATION is also a major factor for me. If one company offers a higher salary than the other but the difference would just be spent for commuting, then I'd rather pick the other one with a nearer location.

So to all fresh graduates who just also landed their first job, a bog GOOD LUCK to all of us. May we survive this new path in our life.







No comments:

Post a Comment